Different varieties of cabbage are available all year round.
Storage and Handling
Store in the refrigerator. Handle all fresh produce with care and wash before eating.
Cabbages are one of the oldest known vegetables. Throughout their long history they have often been thought of as food for the poor. Red cabbage originated in Europe. The first mention of red cabbage dates back to 1570 in England.
Facts and Varieties
- There are many varieties of cabbages grown in New Zealand which vary from red, green or white, with smooth or crinkled leaves and round or oval in shape
- Taste variations are subtle
- Traditionally red cabbages are cooked longer than green cabbages
- As with most vegetables, specific variety names of the brassica group can be confusing as seed companies market similar products with different names
- Green cabbage: these are the most widely grown and available all year round with a range of varieties which ensure a continuous supply
*Source: 5+a Day